Sunday, January 30, 2011

Where Does Motivation To Clean the House Come From?

I wish motivation came in pill form. I'll take two please. Unfortunately it is up to us to motivate ourselves. I had a friend tell me once that she loved to get up in the morning to a messy house. A messy house?! I simply cannot imagine. But she said that she knew the task at hand, that she was capable of doing it, how long it would take her and that she would feel so good after the job was done. She said she could picture how it would look after she was done and knew how proud she would feel. And so that's what made her feel happy when she woke up to a messy house. That my friend is self-motivation. I find it so amazing and respect her so much for that ability. When it comes to cleaning house, I have found a couple of things that motivate me. I love decorating magazines and television shows. Seeing beautiful rooms decorated with gorgeous furniture, fabrics and colors inspire me to want my house to look like that. So when I vacuum, I may move my couch, chair or rug. As I dust, I'm likely to redo the arrangement of items on the mantel or coffee table. I move pillows around and light candles. Last week I took up a rug and moved a flower arrangement to the coffee table. It's just my way of turning a job I hate into a job I love. This weekend I found a wonderful place to get new motivation! It's a blog called The Lettered Cottage. Kayla & Kevin Palmer have wonderful decorating ideas, pictures and how to's. I absolutely love it! So my plan for this week's housework is to meander around their blog, look at pictures, soak up some of their ideas and once again find the motivation to sweep up the dog hair and scrub the toilets. Where does your motivation to clean house come from?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers