Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Thrifting With Grandad

My dad loved garage sales. He used to pick up the grandkids on Saturday and they would pile into his big red truck and off they would go. Their trip to the feed store was to see what new baby animals had been born; chicks, kittens, puppies and birds. I tried not to think about what germs were there. Then they'd hit whatever garage sale they passed and then off to Thrift Town. They learned to appreciate that used items still had value, broken items can be fixed, dirty things washed and that spare parts can be transformed into a cool homemade car! He always brought the kids home dirty, tired, happy and with a treasure in hand. I really appreciate that he took them treasure hunting instead of to Toys R Us. It made them who they are, which is very special indeed. And they have many very special memories of good times spent with their Grandad who loved them very much.

1 comment:

  1. Hello!

    Thank you for your lovely comment. I checked out your etsy and it's quite spectacular! You and your daughter have accumulated so many treasures. I added it as one of my favorite shops and I'll spread the word to all my friends. Unfortunately, I haven't started my etsy shop yet. My roommate and I have been discussing it for months but work has made it hard to give the shop the TLC it deserves and needs to get it started. We have enough stuff hanging in our closets to get it started though. I'm hoping to have it up and running by Spring!

    Thanks for interest :)

    ReplyDelete

Followers